[Gambas-user] Infinities and division

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 01:11:34 CET 2022

On 30/11/22 9:59 am, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:

>     No, I think we do need some arithmetics:
>
> All this is just going to bite your ass sooner or later. As shown
> earlier, it yields the result 1 = 2.
> Also, adding to the confusion list; what would be Inf * 0 ? There just
> aren't logical answers when you treat infinity as a number. It's
> simply wrong. Illogical.

Ah, I was talking about arithmetic using the constants not arithmetic on
"actual infinities". In fact I am quite happy, mathematically, that
Infinity / 1 does equal Infinity / 2 does equal Infinity / X (For X in
R) but doesn't equal Infinity / Infinity.

But +Inf / 2 is a completely different thing. A "very large (real)
number" / 2 does equal a "very large (real) number" or does it?  Is the

  f(x)=Limit(x=1 -> +Inf) x / y

,where y is any fixed real number, computable?

>     ... why btw does Tan(Rad(90)) return 1.63312393531954E+16 ?
>

> That is just the notification, where XE+Y = X * 10^Y.

IMO it should return NaN but I guess it's because there is a real number
returned by Rad(90) and therefore a real result to the Tan() function.
In fact it looks like there is no way to get a Tan("90 degrees") as all
the means of getting the radians involve real number calculations. OK we
can forget about this one.

I am satisfied with Benoit's answer to this (satisfied but not happy😷
as I now "have to" read another damn IEEE doc)