[Gambas-user] MenuButton quirk, event inside event(gtk)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:35:25 CET 2022

On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 15:04, BB <adamnt42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/11/22 12:00 am, Bruce Steers wrote:
>
> Or is it just a bug in gb.gtk as this does not happen with QT only gtk2 &
> gtk3
>
> The words (that I live by) "*eschew GTK*" leap to mind here. 😷 (Which is
> probably why your original great idea works so well here!)

I thought it was a complete winner till i noticed the MenuButton
misbehaving :(  stupid gtk
have been adding it to most of my programs using the StickToMouse option.
then noticed a glitch in GambasLatestUpdater

> Could this be a "You shouldn't do that inside an event handler" type of
> thing?
>
> Did you mean?
>
> Could this be a "You shouldn't *ever ever ever *do that inside an event
> handler" type of thing?
>
> ... "and it's No, nay, never, No, nay never again will I ever stick events
> inside event handlers", unless I forget and then wonder about the stack
> overflows or other strange and exotic happenings that occur unexpectedly
> and without prior notice or even a hint of the slightest sign of concern
> for the sanity of your average Aussie Gambas coder .
>
> and it's only Tuesday.

haha :)
Yes I mean something like that, getting out of the event handler asap has
fixed many a problem for me (especially with compound controls) but I'm
talking about Ben's code so gotta tread lightly here ;)
I'm hoping to nudge giving MenuButton.class (or gb.gtk3) a quick once over
to see if he's got a better fix for this gtk only MenuButton glitch.

Respects
BruceS