[Gambas-user] Getting the launcher name if no Env["GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE"]

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 21:20:11 CET 2022

I wanted a way to find the name of the launcher that runs my program.
i found this
Print Env["GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE"]
prints /usr/local/share/applications/gambas3.desktop

just what i wanted but that Env is only filled if i run the launcher from
the MATE Desktop or system menu but it's not if i run from the mate-panel
icon

Has anyone looked at another way to get the launchers name?
I thought maybe backtracing PIDs or using Apllication.ParentHandle or
something.
Or the launcher is just mate-panel and i cannot get any info about the
.desktop file.

Cheers
BruceS