[Gambas-user] Automatic Startup

gian bagoneo at libero.it
Sun Nov 6 15:58:15 CET 2022

Il 06/11/22 04:17, Bruce Steers ha scritto:

> scripts are awesome :)

> I do not think you can symlink a gambas application directly in
> autostart, i think it needs to be just .desktop [Desktop Entry] files in
> there.
> The same file as that script i posted makes on the Desktop , you could
> modify that script to save the file in autostart not on the Desktop
> (you may want the delay options)
>

> To be honest i have veered away from all the packager stuff and dealt
> with things myself.
>
> The script i posted will compile a downloaded project source, i think
> negating the need for any official install.
> all that script needs is to make another .desktop file in
> $HOME/.local/share/applications to add it to the system menu as well.
> but it needs to handle the menu categories well like gambas does.
>
> and maybe an option to copy the exe to /usr/bin or somewhere if you
> don't want to just use it from within the project folder.
>

> I also made an updater class that i've added to some of my apps that
> checks version to an online source and downloads/compiles/overwrites old
> version, either a whole project folder or just a standalone exe. further
> negating the need for a packager. nor any more compilations from the
> user, they can just click "Update" and it's automatically done.
>
> Respects
> BruceS

Hi Bruce,

I was rehearsing to be able to answer you properly.

Then Martin's e-mail came and now I don't understand it at all.

To make a point I list what I thought I understood.

When creating a package Gambas translates Application.Path to /tmp/whatever.
If I type the shell command:
sPath = User.Home &/ "." & Application.Name
If Not Exist(sPath) Then Try Mkdir sPath.
Shell "cd " & Application.Path & " && gbc3 -agt && gba3 -v -o " &/ sPath
&/ Application.Name & ".gambas" Wait

Is Gambas able to understand it and process it?

I thought I understood that it was not capable but now Martin disproves
this.

Please can some Guru clarify because the more I read on the subject the
more my old brain gets confused and my spirit gets depressed.

One might think that the topic has already been eviscerated enough, but
for me it has not and I don't think it costs too much effort to help,
here the question is clear and the answer can be as well.

Then there would also be the problem of endianness, but that is another
story.

Regards

Gianluigi