[Gambas-user] IDE hungs trying to display Class elements after pressing . <dot>

Benoit Minisini benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
Tue May 17 14:56:47 CEST 2022

Le 12/05/2022 à 13:28, Benoît Minisini a écrit :
> Le 12/05/2022 à 12:09, bb a écrit :
>> On Fri, 2022-05-06 at 16:25 -0300, martin p cristia wrote:
>>
>> *< some stuff
>>
>> This may or may not be relevant, but I occassionally get the IDE
>> hanging when I have the global search panel open and start typeing
>> something in the code editor that makes the completion thingo start.
>>
>> The search panel seems to be overly zealous in trying to update itself?

> I confirm, I have sometimes the same problem.

Last commit
https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/-/commit/2033e6cb254729266bd2783d2e3294e1592ac7d9
should fix the problem.

For information, when you create a background task in a GUI program, the
background task must not do any GUI thing, because it can lead to an
internal deadlock in the GUI toolkit, freezing the application.

This is what the IDE search task did unexpectedly by reading the Text
property of a TextEditor control, that sometimes can trigger events when
highlighting the text before returning it.

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct analysis, so please report if you
encounter a freeze again.

Benoît Minisini