[Gambas-user] Encrypt, decrypt and question about AES

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Wed May 11 10:22:38 CEST 2022

I have been experimenting with gb.openssl and cipher library.

Using AES-256-CBC there is one question open to me. I read that AES
prolongs any offered key to 256 bytes by concatenating the shorter key.
Would you say that it is somewhat faster (and maybe somewhat more
secure) when I offer a key of 256 bytes?

My usage would be to cipher whole text files, and sometimes (well, not
so often but alas...) I have to open a whole row of these files to
search for an entry. So there would be

for each bla in dir...
   File.Load...
   decipher the file
   search file contents

I just would appreciate any way of speeding this up a bit. Currently the
files are not crypted, and it takes about 15 seconds to read and search
all of them.

Regards
Rolf