[Gambas-user] Program producing constant load

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 18:50:24 CEST 2022

On Thu, 31 Mar 2022 at 11:57, Rolf-Werner Eilert <rwe-sse at osnanet.de> wrote:

> Am 30.03.22 um 14:05 schrieb Bruce Steers:
> >

> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 11:06, Rolf-Werner Eilert <rwe-sse at osnanet.de
> > <mailto:rwe-sse at osnanet.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     Am 30.03.22 um 11:32 schrieb Benoît Minisini:
> >      > Le 30/03/2022 à 10:54, Rolf-Werner Eilert a écrit :
> >      >> For my office use, I made a remake of my calendar program.
> >      >>
> >      >> Everything running fine so far, but today I saw that when I have
> >     the
> >      >> program on the active screen, it produces a constant load of
> >     about 40
> >      >> % (the little faker on my desktop has 4 CPUs and Xosview says
> >     1.3 with
> >      >> the calendar visible).
> >      >>
> >      >> top says gbr3 is sucking CPU, but of course no more information.
> >      >>
> >      >> So my question is, how can I find out what is going on within my
> >      >> program? Obviously, there is one event which is fired over and
> over
> >      >> again.
> >      >>
> >      >> Regards
> >      >> Rolf
> >      >>
> >      >
> >      > gbx3 -t displays each ligne executed. It generates a lot of log
> >     in the
> >      > terminal, but you can see what the program runs exactly.
> >      >
> >      > Regards,
> >      >

> >     Oh yes, that shows it clearly: There is a large gridview displaying
> the
> >     hours for each day. Obviously, the gridview constantly fires up the
> >     Data
> >     event which jumps into one function looking for the school holidays.
> >
> >     The question is, why is Data called over and over again?
> >
> >     This is an Ubuntu Mate and I chose gb.qt5 and gb.qt5.ext as
> libraries.
> >     May that be the reason? Or should I look for something else? I have
> >     other projects running with the same libraries here, they use
> Gridview
> >     as well, and they do not constantly fire the Data event.
> >

> > Lets see the code.
> > I suspect there is some code causing the data event to trigger again
> > within the data event.
> >
> > Like putting any instructions in a _Draw event that cause an object
> > refresh will cause a recursive loop
> > BruceS
> >

> > ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
>
> Here is a special version Kalender4-Test which uses a special directory
> for its calendar data and should run on other systems too.
>
> You need the archive and the kaltes.tar.gz of the special directory.
> Unpack or copy the latter to your $home as $home/.kalendertest/... It
> contains only holiday data, everything else is left out, but it runs
> this way and maybe shows the problem.
>
> Hope this helps!

A bit , i am hindered as i do not speak German so do not understand your
function/variable names but i've had a look.

woTermine_Scroll()  seems to fire all the time.
istFerientag() function runs a lot.

I have been testing by adding break points then holding down F8 key to see
what code is running.
in woTermine_Scroll() was a good place for a break point.

Also the application does not exit cleanly (I have to use the ide stop
button). either a file open or a timer not stopped is causing it not to
exit.

Sorry i cannot help further.
BruceS