[Gambas-user] Is it possible to use a library that uses gb.sdl2 in a graphic project?

Tim Dickson dickson.tim at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:27:56 CET 2022

Because sdl does it's own windowing, without a gui. (unless you write
one). It "owns" the window it creates, or full screen. You have to
manually create your own "controls" for SDL/SDL2, rather than the window
being "owned" by GTK or QT.

You need to think of SDL/SDL2 as a third (cross platform) windowing
system that only offers a basic window (form) or fullscreen, without any
widgets, but does give access to device hardware (mice, keyboard,
controllers, audio and graphics) and openGL. the S in SDL is simple,
because there are no widgets, unlike what you find in GTK or QT.
regards, Tim

https://www.avg.com