[Gambas-user] Args help , most other places is -?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 17:01:10 CEST 2022

On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 at 15:15, bb <adamnt42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-06-29 at 12:51 +0100, Bruce Steers wrote:
> > I have noticed most other software uses -? not -h as the short name.
> "most" ??? ??? ???
> I'd be a bit careful. Other shells than bash may see ? as a special
> character.

okay yeah that's definitely "some" not "most" after testing some more
progs.  :-\

dpkg and dpkg-query use -? properly.
pluma , gedit give help if -? is used but list -h and gives an error if an
unknown char is used.

Do you think it's better or useless to be able to use more than one char as
the shortname?
I think it's useful.
Maybe just to me? (maybe i should import and modify my own damn Args.class
an leave Benoits the heck alone? !! ;) lol )

I got my scripted args help looking like this now...

*bonus:~$ scripted -?*

*ScriptED V2.0.4scripted <option> fileOptions: -f --file <file>
            File to open -s --superuser                      Open as
root -c --check                             Open as root if needed -h,-?
--help                           Show Help -V --version
     Display version*