[Gambas-user] Test running app from IDE as root...

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:36:29 CEST 2022

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 at 13:13, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 at 20:57, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, 12 Jun 2022, 20:09 Benoit Minisini, <
>> benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

>>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/242afc06b7c791c3280d5c09112797a81c85243a
>>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/242afc06b7c791c3280d5c09112797a81c85243a

>>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/ef3939d39cc8666cd6e8fe48608c4b5ffde53b73
>>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/ef3939d39cc8666cd6e8fe48608c4b5ffde53b73

>>> If it's useful, it's a good idea. Then it depends if it is correctly
>>> implemented.
>>>
>>> Running a project from the IDE now has many paths:
>>>
>>> - Running in the IDE terminal or in an external terminal.
>>> - Debugging an already running process.
>>> - Debugging through ssh.
>>> - Running through the embedded server.
>>> - Running a project test suite.
>>>
>>> For some of these paths, running with pkexec has sense, for the others
>>> it does not.
>>>
>>> Is your implementation correct?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Benoît Minisini.
>>>

>> Like I said I am not sure, I do not use any of the above mentioned paths
>> so do not know how/what to test or if it makes sense to use it in such
>> cases. But then I should think the programmer would know if to enable it or
>> not makes sense. I could merge request and let you modify conditions if you
>> concur it's useful.
>>
>> As for being useful. I think very useful.
>> I have many root applications that would be handy to test as root but I
>> don't really want the ide run as root (I'd have to configure settings, I
>> never run ide as root)
>>
>> Regardless of "should it be used with some paths or not?" I think it's
>> placement is correct. It inserts the pkexec prefix text just before any
>> Exec command I could see in the Design.class
>>

> Darn it, yesterday i had an error message, in Design.class Process_Read()
> , never seen that before and i was using the RunAsRoot option :(

Hmm, I was also testing a program for someone and had not noticed they had
menus and one was named "File" and the other named "Process" giving a
global declaration hidden error msg.

Could the Process_Error message be from that or is it most likely from
having the IDE use pkexec to debug?
(only had the error once and not had it since)
Respects
BruceS