[Gambas-user] Test running app from IDE as root...

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:57:31 CEST 2022

On Sun, 12 Jun 2022, 20:09 Benoit Minisini, <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 12/06/2022 à 18:37, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >

> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2022 at 17:30, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:bsteers4 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     What do you think of this?
> >
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/242afc06b7c791c3280d5c09112797a81c85243a
> >     <
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/242afc06b7c791c3280d5c09112797a81c85243a
> >
> >     (main commit)
> >
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/ef3939d39cc8666cd6e8fe48608c4b5ffde53b73
> >     <
> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/ef3939d39cc8666cd6e8fe48608c4b5ffde53b73
> >
> >     (sanity check)
> >
> >     I've added an option on the Debugging/Arguments page to Run As Root
> >     using pkexec.
> >     prefixes gbx with the same method Desktop.RunAsRoot() uses.
> >
> >     Good idea? terrible idea?
> >     Seems to work
> >
> >     Respects
> >     Bruce
> >

> > PS. not 100% sure i have put the pkexec insertion in the best place in
> > the code, line 1291 seemed right to me but there are other things i do
> > not use like Test and valgrind so do not know of effects on these.
> > All the best
> > BruceS
> >

> If it's useful, it's a good idea. Then it depends if it is correctly
> implemented.
>
> Running a project from the IDE now has many paths:
>
> - Running in the IDE terminal or in an external terminal.
> - Debugging an already running process.
> - Debugging through ssh.
> - Running through the embedded server.
> - Running a project test suite.
>
> For some of these paths, running with pkexec has sense, for the others
> it does not.
>
> Is your implementation correct?
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

Like I said I am not sure, I do not use any of the above mentioned paths so
do not know how/what to test or if it makes sense to use it in such cases.
But then I should think the programmer would know if to enable it or not
makes sense. I could merge request and let you modify conditions if you
concur it's useful.

As for being useful. I think very useful.
I have many root applications that would be handy to test as root but I
don't really want the ide run as root (I'd have to configure settings, I
never run ide as root)

Regardless of "should it be used with some paths or not?" I think it's
placement is correct. It inserts the pkexec prefix text just before any
Exec command I could see in the Design.class

Respects
BruceS