[Gambas-user] removing xterm escape codes from terminal text

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 00:37:02 CEST 2022

On Tue, 7 Jun 2022, 23:24 Benoit Minisini, <benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org>
wrote:

> Le 07/06/2022 à 22:19, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> > Has anyone made a routine to strip xterm escape codes from a terminal
> text?
> >
> > I'm looking at having to have a close study of the
> > TerminalFilter_VT100.class and try to account for all possible code
> > combinations to strip them.
> >
> > I thought before i spent hours doing it i'd ask if anyone already has
> > and could share the code.
> >
> > Or if there is already a way either an existing function somewhere or
> > possibly in gb.form.terminal or some other class a function that could
> > do it.
> >
> > I'm looking at TerminalFilter_VT100.class and the function OutputTo()
> > looks like it could do it , it seems to do all the right processing but
> > for other reasons. maybe by printing to a stream i could get plain text
> > but i do not know how to do that :(
> >
> > Any thoughts/suggestions?
> > Many thanks
> > All the best
> > BruceS
> >

> Why do you want to do that?

Because I can us the Process_Read() of the terminal process to control
things inside a terminalview running a shell like bash or dash.

I have working a routine that can "Wait" and get return codes/text from
commands running inside the bash terminal but it reeds to read the terminal
text that has a lot of hidden codes to process out.
I know there is terminalview.text but reading each bit as I t comes and not
all the text is preferred.
Cheers