[Gambas-user] Args help , most other places is -?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:43:01 CEST 2022

On Sun, 3 Jul 2022 at 16:59, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 02/07/2022 à 13:04, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >

> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 at 13:21, Benoit Minisini
> > <benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org
> > <mailto:benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Le 30/06/2022 à 02:21, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >      >
> >      > Fair point. Now I'm thinking harder I can't think of any other
> >     reason
> >      > myself other than -?
> >      > Maybe I could make it check for -? With a property?
> >     Args.QuestionMarkIsHelp
> >
> >     Just let the user handle both cases if he wants, and implement both
> >     options in the default help management.
> >

> > Problem was what if the user wants to use -? for help and -h for
> > something else?  It was impossible as Args uses -h if you want it to or
> > not there was no choice.
> > Last commit i removed the HelpShortName property that let you change the
> > help short name and replaced it for a simpler NoHelp property.
> >
> > Is that more acceptable?
> > If Args.NoHelp = True then neither -h or --help is used and you can then
> > enter what ever you like manually.
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
> >

> 'gb.args' is for implementing a standard command-line argument support.
> As soon as the user wants to do something "stupid" (like using '-h' for
> something other than help), I think 'gb.args' must not support it.
>
> This is the same reason why I think implementing simple option merge
> ('-ab' == '-a -b') must not be optional.
>
> Regards,

Sorry my friend but i can't help but disagree a bit.
Personally i think -? is even better than -h for help, because it's
language universal.
If in your language the word for help does not begin with h and your
application is not for public global use then you may well want to use
something else other than h. I think that's reasonable not stupid.  and
it's nice to have the option, it's really not much code to add the option
and skip the default unchangeable -h --help should you want to.

and absolutely yes to the grouping option, as an option. I love options.
Micro$oft is where a forced way with a lack of options belong ;)

But in conclusion I find myself once again in that position of me saying
"Ben, we should do this, we should do that" when the truth is ,, "I could
do this, I could do that."

So I'm now currently making up a webpage that's going to contain a whole
load of my bright ideas in modified/upgraded gambas components with a
description of the modifications and importing instructions.
This i think is a good way to go. (better for you for keeping gambas pure
and non-bloated)

Maybe we could even add an "Alternative modified components" section to the
wiki that others could also add their mods to?

Wishing well.
BruceS