[Gambas-user] I added "External Tools" to my gambas :)

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:23:34 CET 2022

Le 28/01/2022 à 08:11, Bruce Steers a écrit :

> i think that idea is great
> I could probably add a shell script running plugin then ;)
>
> But also that is going WAAAAY beyond my capabilities i think and my
> desire to "mess" about with the IDE.
> This is about as much "mess about with your IDE" as i dare to go ;)
>
> I'm happy to put in some groundwork with this feature (making plugins)
> but starting it off (the initial API) will have to be your doing as only
> you will know how to integrate it all best.

Of course. The API minimizes the dependencies between the IDE and the
plugin, and allows to concentrate on the plugin writing instead of the
internal IDE stuff.

> I'm guessing a Plugin.class that will have the properties/configuration
> as described above
> like
>   hPlugin.AllowFor = Plugin.Allow_Editor + Plugin.Allow_TextEditor +
> Plugin.Allow_Form
>
> maybe functions like
> hPlugin.Get_FEditor() As FEditor
> hPlugin.Get_FTextEditor() As FTextEditor
> hPlugin.Get_FForm() As FForm
>
>   to get full control of the editors and use any method / set any property

Not necessarily. It could be less powerful than that. My idea is to
start the smallest as possible, and enhance the API step by step.

> and stuff like...
> Call a method from the Project.class
> hPlugn.CallProjectMethod(Name As String, Arguments As Variant[]) as Variant
>
> Hmm, or just hPlugin.GetProject() to access the Project.class
>
> This could be easier than i thought.
> I guess you just want the Plugin.class to be able to access the ide's
> main classes and away we go....
>
> Or is that too much freedom to cause problems and better to only add
> certain safe methods?

See above.

--
Benoît Minisini