[Gambas-user] I added "External Tools" to my gambas :)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 06:34:34 CET 2022

On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 17:50, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 at 21:11, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Le 22/01/2022 à 21:43, Bruce Steers a écrit :
>> > Any interest Ben?
>> > Here''s my branch (cleaned up)
>> > https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/External-Tools
>> > <https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/External-Tools>
>> >
>> > modifications to your code are minimal, just adding the menus and
>> hiding
>> > tools when not on a text editing window.
>> > CExternalTools.class and FExternalTools.class/form do the rest.
>> >
>> > Here it is in action launching my code sorter...
>> > https://bws.org.uk/gambas-screens/screenrecord-2022-01-22_19.49.51.mp4
>> > <https://bws.org.uk/gambas-screens/screenrecord-2022-01-22_19.49.51.mp4
>> >

>> > I'm sure how i've implemented it is terrible in the "how it should be
>> > done" and quite possible in "the way i have done it" ways  🙄
>> > I had an issue setting up the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+E ,  it works on QT but
>> > not gtk3 so I must be doing something wrong.
>> >
>> > could this be merge worthy or is it just too much of a hack?  (i can
>> > take the truth :) )
>> >
>> > Wishing Well
>> > BruceS
>> >

>> > ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
>> >

>> I will look at it and I tell you.
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini
>>

> You may want to hold off a while. I'm currently re-writing it with a
> TreeView not a GridView and supporting sub-menus as i realized I may make
> quite a few tools and end up with too large a menu.
>
> plus I'm hoping a re-write will ultimately be nicer code for you.  the
> change I previously made was a copy/paste of a function from one of my
> other programs edited to fit into gambas so wasn't exactly made to measure.
>
> It also has an annoying bug in the menu refreshing i need to deal with. i
> made it auto-hide the tools (not the manager) when not on a text editing
> page.  Will probably do away with the auto hiding of the menus and just
> make the commands pop an error if run when not on a text page (better for
> IDE speed to just leave the menus alone i think).
>
> But do you like the idea at least?
> With these options...
> *Before running script it can format/pretty text and/or save the file*
>
> *It can pass to the script the selected text, the whole text, the
> clipboard contents, the file path/name/dir*
>

> *After running script it can either insert result at cursor, replace whole
> doc with result, reload doc or copy result to clipboard*
>
> With just those options I am able to create all manner of funky little
> tools to perform many tasks.
>
> I know of at least one other person who thinks this feature will be a very
> handy thing.

Right,, now i think it is more worthy your examination.

i still have to give it a thorough debugging but the structure is now
complete.

What i could do with knowing (probably changing) is how i have integrated
it to the IDE.  I should imagine your understanding of it all has a much
better way to properly integrate it.

But i'm border-line offering it for a merge request soon :)

Branch.
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/External-Tools

Snapshot.
https://forum.gambas.one/download/file.php?id=1018