[Gambas-user] I added "External Tools" to my gambas :)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 21:43:22 CET 2022

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 at 05:00, Bruce Steers <bsteers4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You know how like Pluma has the really handy "External Tools" feature that
> lets you run any script and input the result into the document.
> Or just run a script on the document text.
> Many uses, very handy.
>
> Well i've added it to gambas :-\
>
> Check this post out where there's a little info on it, a link to the
> gitlab branch and a clip of it in action...
> https://forum.gambas.one/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1270
> (Benoit's going to cringe at the code :) lol)
>
> Non-perfect code aside I'm going to find this very useful for some custom
> functions :)
>
> Benoit, you should so very much do this with gambas.
> Then there would be a million things we could get our gambas's to do, the
> biggest plus being that you would not have to :)

Any interest Ben?
Here''s my branch (cleaned up)
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/tree/External-Tools

modifications to your code are minimal, just adding the menus and hiding
tools when not on a text editing window.
CExternalTools.class and FExternalTools.class/form do the rest.

Here it is in action launching my code sorter...
https://bws.org.uk/gambas-screens/screenrecord-2022-01-22_19.49.51.mp4

I'm sure how i've implemented it is terrible in the "how it should be done"
and quite possible in "the way i have done it" ways  🙄
I had an issue setting up the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+E ,  it works on QT but not
gtk3 so I must be doing something wrong.

could this be merge worthy or is it just too much of a hack?  (i can take
the truth :) )

Wishing Well
BruceS