[Gambas-user] window resize help

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:14:19 CET 2022

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 21:22, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 20/12/2022 à 22:09, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > Aah i see, so I guess gambas is not set up to use it at all for a
> > borderless window?
> >
> > Or can we access the "kind" startSystemResize function in gambas any way
> > to do it ourselves?
>
> It's possible to add some API for that, as GTK+ supports this method too.
>
> But you still don't have any guarantee that these functions actually do
> what you expect.
>

> > I've often wanted a borderless but resizable window. usually i have
> > added an option to show the titlebar/border to resize then hide it again
> > but it's ugly.
> >
> > The routine i have made needs a little refinement but it's working now
> > in a way i'm happy with so I guess i can just adapt it into my programs.
>
> I understand what you want to do, but the Wayland guys decided that only
> the window manager should be able to move and resize windows
> interactively (and moving a toplevel window is forbidden anyway).
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini.

It's odd though because as i reported in bug
https://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.2654&from=L21haW4-
window movement/position setting seems to work as expected for me on
wayland with gb.gtk.wayland and gb.qt.wayland just not on gb.gtk3.wayland.
This was a surprise as i had just updated the wiki to explain what you said
about not being able to move windows in wayland, but then found i COULD
move my windows on wayland, just not gtk3-wayland.

With gtk3 on wayland i do not get a Form_Move() event trigger and
inspecting my window position it was X= 45 , Y = 45 and regardless where i
moved the window the position always said 45,45
but qt and gtk2 seems to work as normal.

maybe by "top level" window they refer to the desktop? because all my
application top level windows move just fine. (or does top-level mean
always on top utility/modal window?)

I don't get it, as my application windows move fine on wayland (just not
with gtk3)

Respects.

(and happy Yule tide to you all)
BruceS