[Gambas-user] gb.db local change

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sat Dec 10 19:21:19 CET 2022

Am 10.12.22 um 14:01 schrieb Benoit Minisini:

> Maybe that can be supported in standard. I imagine an optional boolean
> paramter to the Update() method: if set, then Update() returns a new
> 'Result' object made from the result of the RETURNING clause.
>
> Apparently RETURNING is supported by PostgreSQL, SQLite, and recent
> versions of MariaDB but just for INSERT.

PostgreSQL supports it for DELETE and UPDATE also.

Instead of a boolean parameter you could offer a string array called
"Returning" which can hold the names of the columns whose content should
be returned. If 'Returning' is filled it can be sent to the db:

If $Returning.Count > 0 Then
     $statement & " RETURNING " & $Returning.Join(',')
Endif

If the db doesn't support it, it will throw an error. So it's up to the
programmer to distinguish whether the db or the current version of the
db supports it or not.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--