[Gambas-user] Trying charts - how to do that?

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:10:18 CET 2022

On 9/12/22 10:11 pm, Christof Thalhofer wrote:
> Am 09.12.22 um 12:12 schrieb Tim Dickson via User:
>
>> ah ok. so the chat about not being able to do charts, and using gnuplot
>> was for people with a broken gambas install?, or was it because it is
>> marked as a "draft" component, and people were using gnuplot as a
>> result.?
>> So the fix is reinstall gambas. :-)
>
> No. I just said, that I(!) use Gnuplot for the creation of charts and
> I can do it because Gambas gives me the opportunity to do that.
>
> You can see this as an alternative approach for the task of creating
> charts.
>
> I am not against gb.chart or it's successor, I just don't use it. And
> unlike Gianluigi, who wants to have everything in Gambas, I think that
> this is impossible, but that you can use Gambas wonderfully to call
> other programs and use their results (in Gambas).
>
> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

And I'd just like to add that there is a wee bit too much of this "Just
re-install Gambas" going on here lately, which *could confuse newcomers*
or those with less experience with the wonderful world of Linux
maketools and packaging.

*Yes.* If, and only if, you are using the development version and have
*broken something yourself* OR if you have discovered an actual bug AND
then found that it has already been fixed in a later patch.

*No.* If you are using a stable release. Fullstop.

*Most Probably.* If you are using an old release *and* you can get a
later release from your distro. But it is no use installing 3.14 over
3.10 and then trying to find out why 3.17 stuff still doesn't work.

There was a time a few years ago when occasionally a complete refresh
was needed, because at that time autotools, now and then and without any
reason known in this universe, when it was having a bad hair day, would
screw something up.  This is apparently (to me) no longer true.

take care folks and enjoy the weekend