[Gambas-user] Trying charts - how to do that?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Dec 9 00:01:27 CET 2022

Am 06.12.22 um 19:47 schrieb Dag JNJ:

> I've come to a moment when I need diagrams/charts.
> I tried to activate the component gb.charts although greyed out in the
> components list, and that succeeded.
> But I find no chart component in the toolboxes on the right side.
> I also tried the example in the German "Gambas-Buch", but it failed to
> start with an error-message at the line where the chart was pointed at.
> (Sorry have to write this from memory  because my PC broke down and I
> have to use an old and really slow laptop).
> I tried to use a drawing area with the same name as in the example but
> something else must have gone wrong.
> Has anyone an idea what I've done wrong?
> Thanks in advance ad kind regards,

I never tried to create charts with Gambas but instead use Gambas to
create source files for Gnuplot and then call Gnuplot by the Gambas
'Shell' command.

So Gnuplot creates a SVG file which I can display in a DrawingArea
inside a Gambas form afterwards.

Gnuplot is incredibly powerful and can create beautiful charts, I
attached a simple one as an example.

This is one of the things I like most about Gambas: you can use is as a
glue to bring together really mighty things of the Linux universum into
one program.

I do similar things with LaTeX, when I want to have beautiful typography.

I don't think everything has to be done in Gambas alone when there are
much more powerful and sophisticated alternatives.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur