[Gambas-user] gb.map Sort of aside - geonames alternatives

BB adamnt42 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 12:16:32 CET 2022

For some time we have been using geonames to provide the geo-location of
some "point of interest" to us, such as the location of "Chapel Hill
Winery, SA, Australia". This has now become fairly useless as either the
data point does not exist in their database or it returns more results
than can be reasonably parsed. However I digress.

What I am wondering is how to

1) put a "flag" by which I mean one of those google.maps red golf balls
a red tee type of thing on a gb.map that shows the location of the
winery ifof we can find it,

2) add into the map popup menu a "Center map here" item to redraw the
map with the current mouse positioned centered there

3) (aside) is anyone aware of something better than geonames which is
becoming less relevant as time goes by. (Please don't suggest google
maps, we don't need more advertisement links than the current 3
gazillion sites per request.)

The basic use case is

* the user enters a name for a winery,

* project searches for a geographic point with the same or similar name
(in Australia!)

* project displays an openstreetmaps set of tiles with the winery name
in the center of the map (don't worry I can handle the zooming)

* user plays with the map until they are happy about where the winery
is. (Again, no problem apart from the above like the "flag" and
re-centering)

* use case ends and we all have a merry St Egwin's Day

tia

bruce