[Gambas-user] Custom controls, Non-String arrays in the IDE

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:45:24 CEST 2022

On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 at 13:19, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

> Le 17/08/2022 à 13:42, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> >             Let's put the usefullness of flashy gradient buttons aside.
> >             What you
> >             would need is actually a brush, not a gradient. The gradient
> >             is just a
> >             particular case of a brush.
> >
> >             And editing a brush (or any other complex property) in the
> >             form editor
> >             needs:
> >

> > oh my god you're right. and right about the ReportBrush too.
> > Sorry i didn't get it at first.
> >
> > I can just use a string value set to use {ReportBrush} type and there is
> > everything i needed in a string that I can easily work with. don't even
> > need to add gb.report.
> >
> > Awesome :)
> > Respects.
> > BruceS
> >

> It's not enough. The problem is that you must understand how property
> values are stored in and retrieved from form files.
>
> "ReportBrush" is not just the way the property is chosen in the form
> editor, it's also which code is generated in the form file to initialize
> the property. You can't reuse it directly.
>
> For complex objects like brushes, you usually need an equivalent object
> in the component. For example, properties with "ReportBrush" kind uses
> the 'ReportBrush[]' array method of the gb.report(2) component.
>
> That logic is located in the 'CControl.GetEachProperty()' method.
>
> Regards,

Yes i spoke too soon in my excitement of your suggestions finally hitting
me and thinking i had a really simple solution.
It was all working editing in the IDE so I thought everything was great,
but then i got an error when running the program (no ReportBrush)

So i have imported the ReportBrush.class and now it works like you say, not
as a string but as an actual reportbrush object.  Still that's something i
can use.

Shame i cannot disable the color/image options of the reportbrush editor
but i'll work around it :)

Cheers Ben :)

BruceS