[Gambas-user] Custom controls, Non-String arrays in the IDE

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:13:06 CEST 2022

On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 at 15:26, Benoit Minisini <
benoit.minisini at gambas-basic.org> wrote:

snip

> > Could you implement Array type? like my first idea of using the existing
> > String[] editor to edit then converting the strings to respective types?
> > And possibly a more complicated Color[] type to set multiple colors?
> > Dang, in my head this just got a lot more complicated :-\
> >

> > Many thanks
> > BruceS
> >

> Let's put the usefullness of flashy gradient buttons aside. What you
> would need is actually a brush, not a gradient. The gradient is just a
> particular case of a brush.
>
> And editing a brush (or any other complex property) in the form editor
> needs:
>
> 1) An IDE internal string representation of the property.
>
> 2) A method in the Gambas component that converts that string into the
> real object, making that internal string representation part of the
> public API.
>
> 3) The corresponding property editor in the IDE.
>
> 4) The code that deals with the property kind in the form loading
> routine, saving routine, setting and getting property routines.
>
> If you don't understand, look how the Font property kind is handled.
>
> Implementing all that is not a five minutes job (hopefully the brush
> editor already exists in some way for the Report forms), and I usually
> do it when it's really useful. Anyway I can't do it now.

I had a better idea (much simpler)
https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commits/property-choosers

There i have added a popup menu to the lstValue listbox that lets you run
various choosers for colors (string or integer) , fonts,  pictures and
file/dir paths. (all i could think of would be useful)

It seemed a much easier solution and fixes my needs :)

Not sure if popup menu was the best way to implement it but works cool,

Only downside is you cannot see the actual colors just the strings but
that's okay.

Respects
BruceS