[Gambas-user] Gambas3 IDE crashes itself out of existence

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 11:07:18 CEST 2021

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 09:29, Bruce <adamnt42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/5/21 12:28 pm, John Anderson wrote:
> > This is a "just a bug" - on Gambas 3.16.90 May 25, 2021 build on Linux
> Mint
> > 20.1  Not a huge deal but it should probably be fixed at some point.  I
> couldn't
> > get on the bug tracker tonight so here it is:
> >
> > 1.  Open up Gambas IDE, just sitting at initial home welcome page.
> >
> > 2.  Go to Open a File, and pick any binary file out of a project
> folder...for
> > instance "TestProject.gambas".  Or any binary file.
> >
> > 3.  A malformed modal warning dialog box displaying a file name path and
> cut-off
> > text announcing "Can not open binary file"  I guess.  I can't see all the
> > displayed text.

I think this is an issue Ben.
It's possible to overload a message box with text and get something
unreadable or buttons offscreen (what to press?).
Maybe some handling with Message.class to scroll the text?

> > 4.  Click OK.
> >
> > 5.  Entire Gambas IDE disappears itself, with some system memory lost
> forever.
> > Oops.

Did you not get an error message and a choice to ignore or close?

> 6.  Restart Gambas IDE, and the Home Welcome page is showing (not very

> > helpfully) the binary file that it can't possibly open on the recent
> files
> > list.  Just begging me to try it again.  Yep, it does the same thing all
> over again.

Er. when you load gambas3 it starts at the welcome screen.  did you want it
to know you wanted to open a particular project this time?
Imagine if it wanted to auto-load that file you should never have opened in
the first place?
;)

there's ancient expressions for this type of thing i know there is...
Things like ,, "if we do not learn from our mistakes we are doomed to
repeat them."
Things like...
Patient: doctor it hurts when i do "that"..
Doctor: so don't do "that" then.
;)

> > Again, not a big problem but maybe it could get looked at on an upcoming
> > revision.  I don't think Gambas3 IDE intends to quit like that for no
> reason - I
> > think what was meant to happen is when you click OK on the warning
> dialog it
> > should go back to Welcome Home screen, and the binary file it can't open
> > shouldn't be on the recent files list.  At least that's how I think is
> what is
> > supposed to happen.

The other day i was writing a control and i used
Pubic Const _Similar As String = "MovieBox, MediaView"
But because i had not loaded gb.form.media the MediaView was not found.
Right clicking the control caused an error crash.
But where lieth the problem?
I decided it was with me.
I do not expect Benoit to create handling for all my own stupid errors, I
mean , i can be really stupid if i want ;)

Things like this John you should add to the bugtracker. (that's where i
plan to add the above glitch i found)
Then when Benoit has time he works through the little kinks from there.
errors reported here can get lost in the cosmos.

> -John
>
> Yep, I reckon the third time you try to open it, after you have been
> told "not tp play with matches" twice, it should do the old 30,000 volts
> through the keyboard/mouse trick.
>
> ;-)

Haha
They say programming can be 10% program and 90% fool proofing (sorry, i
mean error handling)  ;)