[Gambas-user] Network Programming

T Lee Davidson t.lee.davidson at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:23:22 CEST 2021

Inline.

On 5/18/21 3:10 AM, John Dovey wrote:
> I created this as a separate class in my project and instantiated the class from my main form. When I close my main form, the
> program doesn’t. What do I need to do to kill the class?

Gambas does not automatically close open sockets when a program terminates. You will have to explicitly call
ServerSocket.Close(). Perhaps in a subroutine in the class like:

Public Sub CloseServer()
   If Srv Then ' Make sure object exists (or perhaps: If Not IsNull(Srv) Then)
     Srv.Close()
   End If
End

> Also, I’m bother by the use of “LAST”. My concept is that I was wanting to have the server accept connections as they arrive,
> and then manage the full session with the client, but the LAST is confusing me. Do I need to track the socket object as a list
> of “connections”?

The socket objects representing connections to unique clients are contained in an array of objects (ie. the Clients object
array). When a connection request is received, a unique socket is created with ServerSocket.Accept() and is added to the Clients
array (list?) with Clients.Add(); one socket per unique client. All the sockets created are attached to the "Socket" event
observer. [http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb.net/serversocket/accept]

When a message is received from a client, the Socket_Read() event handler is triggered. Now, since we don't know exactly which
client sent the message, we can use the Last keyword which represents whichever server socket received the current message from
its connected client. And since Last, in this case, is a handle on a socket, all the properties and methods of Socket are
available to us (ie. Last.RemoteHost).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by, "manage the full session with the client." Isn't the function of a chat server to
basically forward a message sent by one client to all the other clients? What management of individual clients would be necessary?

--
Lee