[Gambas-user] How To

John Dovey dovey.john at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:01:08 CEST 2021

It’s a pleasure.

I figure that if I take my experiences learning to do things and share them
with others in this form. It can only be for the benefit of all. There are
a few other things I could do like this already. Maybe recreate the “Chat
server” page that was shared with the list today. Also a practical how to
on simple stuff like creating multiple copies of forms, seeing as they are
classes like everything else and another complete example of reading a .csv
file. I’ve also gone through the pain of creating a bare bones console app
with the curses library, so that could also make another one.

The more I look at it, there are a LOT of things that can be done with
Cairo, so maybe a more advanced example of things like drawing shapes to
show the difference between fill and stroke, scaling drawings to match the
size of the screen, drawing complex shapes, things like polyhedron and
spirals etc. Also, I’ve been playing with animating she shapes. That’s a
bit of a mind bender. I’ve also not found practical examples of writing the
picture out to SVG, or PNG files.
Once I get around to it, a framework for creating PDF files could also be
useful.

What’s really great is it’s a wiki so everyone can contribute, edit and
update as they see mistakes or think of better examples etc

All the best
John

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 1:51 AM Martin <mbelmonte at belmotek.net> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I am glad you do how to, I think it is a very practical format to learn
> how something works.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Martin.
> El 18/5/21 a las 6:45, John Dovey escribió:
>
> I'm not sure if it's appropriate, but the help I got from the list today
> inspired me to write something to contribute to the Gambas Wiki. I wrote it
> as a HowTo at http://gambaswiki.org/edit/howto/drawithcairo
>
> I have a few questions
> 1. Is it Ok? Should it have a different structure or more info etc?
> 2. Is it appropriate as a "How To" or should it rather have been a
> "Tutorial"?
> 3. Is this sort of thing helpful? I know I would have found it very
> helpful, and wouldn't have had to ask the *noob* questions on the list. I
> figure if it's helpful I don't mind contributing more as I go along.
>
> All the best
> John

Sent from Gmail Mobile