[Gambas-user] A curious thing happens with translations.

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Sun May 9 20:01:45 CEST 2021

Le 06/05/2021 à 14:30, Martin a écrit :
> I think this topic is important and it would be interesting that
> somewhere be possible configure, when you open the translation form, the
> default language to be set as the neutral language, in this case common
> Spanish.

What's the problem with opening by default on the current language?

If your current language is not common Spanish, and you want to
translate to common Spanish, you just have to click on the "+" button
and add that translation.

It's really not a big deal.

> Then, when creating a new project it always defaults to US English, I
> think it should be common English since something similar to Spanish
> happens to the English language, a language that is spoken in many
> countries and each one has its variants.
> I am trying to make a program in gambas3 that translates all the
> programs in the directory that is passed as parameter but I find things
> that in my opinion could be standardized.
> I mean standardize in the sense that you can take advantage of the
> knowledge generated in the translations of other programs in an
> intelligent way.
> translate-shell blocks translations after 20 or 30 translation attempts
> (I don't know exactly the number) so in practice it doesn't serve as a
> translation method for the whole program.
> But... What happens if we manage to reduce the list to translate? that's
> where the knowledge of other programs that we have in our home comes in.
> many phrases that are already translated in other programs could
> alleviate the translation list and thus make the access to
> translate-shell not to be blocked.
> For all this to be possible, I think, the first option has to be the
> common language for the case of languages like English or Spanish "xx.po".
>
> Regards.
>
> Martín.

You can import the translations from any translation file into the
current translation from the "Import" tab.

You can choose if you want to keep the current translations (i.e. if you
want to fill the untranslated strings only).

And you can import all the files recursively from the current selected
folders.

That way, you can create your own library of translations by collecting
translation files.

Benoît Minisini