[Gambas-user] Idea for 3.17

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Sat May 8 00:37:20 CEST 2021

Hi Tobi,

Am 07.05.21 um 23:38 schrieb Tobias Boege:

> And I wonder what would effectively prevent me from publishing a library
> using the deganius.de namespace in case domain-based namespaces are used.
> What I said under point 1 above amounts to «I _want_ to be able to write
> and use classes under deganius.de and share them with people "unofficially"».
> So my question is basically: what is the "official" way then that verifies
> domain ownership and enforces the trust and collision prevention advantages
> of internet domains?

You're right in the sense that publishing a package should not have to
mean registering a domain. However, my wish that domains can be used as
a possibility was based on what happens with Java:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/package/namingpkgs.html

The Java folks recommend that companies name their packages according to
their domain names, just the other way round:

'com.example.mypackage'

They recommend, not determine! It's a convention, you can name your
package there 'boege.tobias.mail' without problems. And with your name,
I'm pretty sure there won't be any conflicts.

Bill Smith has certainly bigger chances that another programmer anywhere
in the world calls his package 'billmail' and so it can come to name
conflicts, which we want to avoid with namespaces in the future.

So: Using a domain should be a convention – for professionals.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur