[Gambas-user] A curious thing happens with translations.

Martin mbelmonte at belmotek.net
Thu May 6 14:30:53 CEST 2021

I think this topic is important and it would be interesting that
somewhere be possible configure, when you open the translation form, the
default language to be set as the neutral language, in this case common
Spanish.
Then, when creating a new project it always defaults to US English, I
think it should be common English since something similar to Spanish
happens to the English language, a language that is spoken in many
countries and each one has its variants.
I am trying to make a program in gambas3 that translates all the
programs in the directory that is passed as parameter but I find things
that in my opinion could be standardized.
I mean standardize in the sense that you can take advantage of the
knowledge generated in the translations of other programs in an
intelligent way.
translate-shell blocks translations after 20 or 30 translation attempts
(I don't know exactly the number) so in practice it doesn't serve as a
translation method for the whole program.
But... What happens if we manage to reduce the list to translate? that's
where the knowledge of other programs that we have in our home comes in.
many phrases that are already translated in other programs could
alleviate the translation list and thus make the access to
translate-shell not to be blocked.
For all this to be possible, I think, the first option has to be the
common language for the case of languages like English or Spanish "xx.po".

Regards.

Martín.