[Gambas-user] Idea for 3.17

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed May 5 20:53:02 CEST 2021

Am 05.05.21 um 20:20 schrieb Bruce:

> Doesn't the vendor prefixing for libraries already provide that?

Yes, parts of. These are Gambas libs we use here, they reside in the
"Gambas vendords namespace" 'deganius':

> christof at tof-x230 /usr/lib/gambas3/biz1 » ls /usr/lib/gambas3/deganius
> deg-betrieb:1.1.gambas
> deglib-basic:1.6.gambas
> deglib-gb:1.6.gambas
> deg-models-degdaten:1.0.gambas
> deg-report:1.0.gambas
> deg-statistik:1.0.gambas
> deg-tabpanel:1.0.gambas
> deg-telefon:1.1.gambas

Dependencies seem to be managed well, also versions!

But I cannot use '.' in a vendor name, so domain names are not allowed.

Worse: Any class 'Mail' in one of these libs would enhance/overwrite any
other class 'Mail' loaded before. This is not what we need.

Namespaces should introduce that 'deganius.de:Mail' can be used together
and independently of 'example.com:Mail'.

As 'deganius.de' and 'example.com' are different namespaces the class
'Mail' in the second would not overwrite/enhance 'Mail' in the first.

You could use in your software:

'deganius.de:Mail.Send(Address as string, Subject as String, Text as
String)'

and:

'example.com:Mail.Send(Subject as String, Text as String, Address as
string, PathToAttachment as String)'

Note the different signatures of the methods.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur