[Gambas-user] Compilation hangs on QT4 with Ubuntu 18.04.

ML d4t4full at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 04:12:19 CEST 2021

Guys,

Spent last weekend trying to revive the 20GB VirtualVox VM that I set up
and used to patch gb.db.odbc several years ago (from SVN!).
Long story short, I had to switch it from Ubuntu 16.04 32bit to Ubuntu
18.04 64bit; so pretty much had to recreate it.
This last step obliterated the Firebird setup I created to fix row count
on it, but I'm confident I can get it back up.

I had to refork my copy of Gambas in GitLab too, thanks to not having
re-synced it for quite some time...
In doing this, I set up the "dual remote repo" recommended in the new
CONTRIBUTING file and Wiki to have the repos easily synced.

(just in case, the pages I read are http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install
and http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/howto/contribute)

Also got unixODBC and all its glory -and gory- bits installed, along
with FreeTDS for astonishing MSSQL connectivity.

Then, I got to the gambas workflow: "sudo apt install <dependencies>",
"./reconf-all", "./configure -C --disable-keyring", you know: the works.

Next I proceeded with "make -j" as said in the wiki. It all went nice
and easy until it got to (try to) compile the QT4 components.
This step simply hangs the whole Virtual Machine. Not even the mouse
pointer responds. Dead as a brick. Have to hit RESET on VirtualBox to
restart it.
In doing this compilation, it does get through a bunch of QT4 stuff, but
it always get to some component or another and just freezes. Tried 4 or
5 times.
Not always freezes on the same component, and subsequent attempts to
compile even skip modules already compiled (expected). But again dies
processing QT4.

Searched the interwebs, but could not get to a reasonable response or
reason as to why this happens, much less a solution.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this may happen and, maybe, how to
solve it?

TIA,
zxMarce.