[Gambas-user] Latest commit failing to compile (gbx)

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 00:57:18 CET 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 23:33, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 06/03/2021 à 00:27, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> > Thanks Ben , i do not understand why i get this sort of error though.
> >
> > as far as i know i have not changed anything.
> > I downloaded and compiled/installed Gambas a couple of times yesterday
> > without problem then suddenly i get a problem with gbx compiling after
> > you made changes to it.
> > It must be a problem in the make install not overwriting things/updating
> > libs properly?
> >
> > that's why I was a little put out by you saying it's my fault?  My
> > thinking was "well i didn't bloody do anything !"
> >
> > This certainly seems to be an issue with the installer not properly
> > configuring.
> > You are absolutely right in your solution it seems i did a make
> > distclean (it's a function in my app) and it has compiled again now,
> > thank you.
> >
> > But why ?  how ? what bloomin causes it?  It's both annoying and
> > embarrassing and still strikes me as a bug in the gambas installer.
> >
> > i want to add something to the wiki about what type of change will
> > possibly require make clean as the installer fails at some type of
> change.
> >
> > Or is it just going to have to be considered an addition to what to do
> > if not compiling just running "make install"
> >
> > Thanks again.  apologies for my deflated ego shouting out.
> > BruceS
> >

> When you have such a problem, you can go to GitLab and check the CI/CD
> pipeline integration.
>
> If the last one is green, it means that Gambas successfully compiled and
> installed on fifteen different Linux distributions.
>
> In that case you can almost be sure that the problem is on your side.
>
> Regards,

well yes but to be fair gitlab creates a brand new system and source dir
each time and does everything from clean and fresh.

i ran into a problem because my source folder already existed and had files
in them that did not update/recompile when they needed to.

I should imagine everyone who compiles from a gitlab pull update on an
existing folder would run into the same problem there.

It seems a problem that the installer does not recompile/install the
changed files itself.
So technically a problem my end yes but i'm not so sure it's my fault.
i wonder if fixable your end or not by maybe auto triggering a make clean
in /main if core files change?

I know not the best solution , just that there seems to be a problem.
(occasionally)

But i guess just knowing to run make clean if problem recurs will do as is
very much just occasional.

I think I will add a notice to my installer app to try the clean function
if you get failure even after running ./reconf-all where you did not get
failure before.

Thanks for the help.
BruceS