[Gambas-user] Some questions about Component/Classes/Symbols (Text format)

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 10:58:51 CEST 2021

Inline.

On Fri, 2021-06-25 at 10:44 +0200, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 25/06/2021 à 10:37, CD a écrit :
> > Some questions about Component/Classes/Symbols
>
> ...that you posted twice on the mailing-list.

Because I asked him not to post in html (for personal reasons.)

> > 1) What do the symbols "." for example in
> > gb.jit component/Jit class/property "."
> > gb.map component/class _MapTile/property "."
> > gb.form.mdi component/Workspace class/constant "."
> > these symbols do not appear in * .info files
> > from the /usr/share/gambas3/info directory?
>

> You should not see them anymore now the bug is fixed. They don't
> exist.

Yes and that was a great fix, thank you

> > 2) Why in the *; list files in the same
> > directory/usr/share/gambas3/info
> > some class names are followed by an exclamation mark "!", others
> > don't?
>
> Why do you want to know that? This is an implementation detail not
> meant
> to be used publicly.

Me too! I'd love to know what he is trying to do. We have a database of
all the GUI symbols that we use when creating custom controls. It is
quite handy to sort out what symbols are available in yours and ours
GUI controls. Hence the interest.

> > 3) Why some classes appear with their name preceded by a "^",
> > for example gb.image component, classes ^Image and ^color;
> > in gb.image.info file no "^" sign?
>
> They are the overriden classes. You can't use them anymore
> explicitely.
> This is an internal interpreter thing.

Help me out here. When you say overriden, do you mean that the symbol
in the overriding class is appended with the "^" or the symbol in the
overriden class? This could explain a defect I have in our project that
rebuilds the abovementioned database.

As usual, best regards
bruce