[Gambas-user] Correct strategy for VB static var conversion to Gambas?

John Anderson johna at starflightinc.com
Wed Jun 2 17:29:21 CEST 2021

On 6/2/2021 12:15 AM, Christof Thalhofer wrote:

>> If you're looking at a module file with many long procedures, it would
>> be helpful if there was a way to keep the window vertical scroller bar
>> limited to the current procedure or declare section. That makes it
>> easy-er to scroll up and down over one very long procedure in a file
>> without overshooting top or bottom.  For instance - nothing changes on
>> the IDE as it is.  BUT if I open a file with long procedures I can tick
>> on an option where the vertical scroller is limited to just one
>> procedure or declaration section at a time.  In that mode I select
>> procedures to view with the drop-down box that is already there.  Or
>> maybe it's MouseAlt-Drag on scroller bar engages "Limit to One
>> Procedure" function (ie. use  "Left mouse" button, but we never use that
>> term any more so as to not discriminate against left-handers who use
>> reversed mouse devices - new docs rules).  It looks like MouseAlt
>> function is available on scroller bar.  Or whatever method works best
> I agree that this would be a handy feature but I personally wouldn't
> need it.
>
> As I said to you earlier: Please have a look at the bookmark feature
> first. When I have the "joy" to work with very large methods – this is
> something that happens when speed is important and one works with
> GoSub/Return to simulate functions inside functions but without leaving
> the scope, I use bookmarks.
>
> Usually I have two or three bookmarks set inside the method with Ctrl-B
> at the places I'm currently working on and then jump with
> Alt-Pgup/Pgdown from one to the other.
>
> Did you try it?
>
> Did you also try Ctrl-Alt-Enter and Ctrl-Enter?
>
> Alles Gute
>
> Christof Thalhofer

Yes, I did try bookmarks and folding / unfolding, etc.  That certainly
helps! - but when you compare to other IDE's that lets you focus on one
and only one function at a time with vertical scroller:  Gambas IDE
could be even better maybe.  But that's just how I see it.  IDE works OK
for now and is really pretty good, albeit a little bit clumsy feeling
(to me) in some spots - but that's probably due to my muscle memory and
the fact I'm jumping around different IDE's / OS's several times a day.

It's all good overall.  I'm not complaining, just noticing where IDE
could be even better.

-John