[Gambas-user] No-op command

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 19:28:05 CEST 2021

On Sun, 2021-07-18 at 19:00 +0200, Tobias Boege via User wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2021, Karl Reinl wrote:
> >
> > Am Montag, den 19.07.2021, 00:19 +0930 schrieb bb:
> > > I need a Gambas command that does nothing, like a NOP, where I
> > > can
> > > set
> > > a breakpoint for debugging, any good ideas?
> > >
> > > tia
> > > bruce
> > >

> > > ----[ http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/doc/netiquette ]----
> >
> > Salut,
> >
> > Debug "stop" or Print "stop"
> >

> In fact, there is a STOP keyword, which acts like a breakpoint.
> But this is *always* a breakpoint when encountered in debug mode,
> not something you can turn on or off dynamically.
>
> Otherwise, I'd use a constant statement like
>
>   Pi
>
> It's short, quick, strange and reasonably easy to find for you
> (but not easy to interpret for your coworkers, I guess). Unlike
> Debug and Print, it does not pollute the output of your program.
>
> Best,
> Tobias

Thanks guys,
Both good ideas. I must remember them.

For the specific case I have, I first tried Karl's idea with 'Debug
"<this_method> has already been executed." and I got 800+ lines in
stdout. Which is not a bad thing as I suspected an out of control loop
was happening and now I know it is.
Just "why" it is happening in an empty "else" block is interesting to
say the least, but probably due to some very old code somewhere not
near where I am looking.