[Gambas-user] Error ODBC

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Wed Jul 14 19:52:05 CEST 2021

Am 14.07.21 um 19:03 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

> It's a mess.

ODBC has been a mess for a long time. It should be warned about rather
than teaching it.

> No driver behaves the same. To make ODBC really transparent in Gambas,
> one will have to write one code different for each ODBC driver, making
> all the ODBC thing irrelevant.

Yes, the same effort invested in specific database drivers would
certainly be more effective.

After all, we have experts here who work with Oracle and Sybase. If they
use Gambas with a proprietary database, they can also go to the trouble
of developing the driver for it themselves and make it public available
as OSS under the GPL license.

I believe that any energy spent on ODBC would be better spent elsewhere.

But using ODBC as a driver to talk to Sqlite with Gambas is really
completely pointless, since a corresponding driver for Sqlite already
exists.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--