[Gambas-user] Persistent clipboard?

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 18:09:48 CET 2021

Le 30/01/2021 à 17:54, Bruce Steers a écrit :

> Can anything be done about the way the clipboard clears on app exit?

The clipboard is entirely managed by the underlying toolkit (GTK+ or Qt)
(even if it requires its bunch of cryptic code
  in both toolkits).

> I have just implemented into a few of my apps detecting clipit.
> clipit seems to work well
> upon a call to Clipboard.Copy() i use a simple...
> *
> *
> *If $bHasClipit Then Shell "echo -n " & Quote(sText) & "|clipit"*
> *
> *

Voilà. A persistent clipboard needs a persistent external program.

Obviously, Gambas cannot do anything reliable, as it cannot ensure that
clipit, or any other clipboard manager is running, or can be run reliably.

Besides a hack like you did, I don't think it exists a standard solution
that could be implemented inside Gambas (something like xdg-tools that
can triggers actions according to the current desktop).

Benoît Minisini