[Gambas-user] Could gitlab-ci + package builder = easy install?

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 23:45:06 CET 2021

There's a thought been mulling around in my head.

We have 2 things already happening...
gitlab-ci and how it works making a temporary system and compiling/building
and installing complete gambas3 for various distros.

We also have packager routines built into gambas that can create an
installable .deb/.rpm/etc package from a project for each distro supported
in the CI.

So can these 2 things not somehow be bought together?

My thinking is the CI could be made to make a package file of gambas it
just compiled for its distro and copying the file somewhere before the
runner finishes.

Seems like it's something sooo close to be able to happen.

Do the folks who made the packaging code think this is possible to adapt
the code to package gambas itself?

Ultimate aim here is to make upgrading much simpler for various distros.
No need for compile, no need for PPA , just download an auto-created
package file and double click.

If it's a crap ton of coding involved then i would understand a reluctance
but i can't help think there is already code doing similar things so will
it be that massive a task?

Just a thought.
All the best :)
BruceS