[Gambas-user] Custom controls in gambas IDE

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:24:45 CET 2021

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 at 18:17, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 22/02/2021 à 17:23, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >
> > Ben , do you like or hate the idea of this?
> > I've added a "Custom Controls" part to Preferences.
> >
> > Controls added to list get loaded when gambas loads so they show correct
> > in IDE.
> >
> > Should I stop or do you think may be a nice addition?
> >
> > Here is a movie of it working..
> > http://bws.org.uk/images/screenrecord-2021-02-22_16.14.34.mp4
> >
> > it is WIP still. (need to make it copy the ProjectDir/.info file to
> > ProjectDir/.hidden/info/classname.info <http://classname.info> to make
> > it work properly yet)
> >
> > Respects
> > BruceS
> >

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I don't like the idea of loading components dynamically in the
> IDE at all, because :
>
> 1) These components cannot be unloaded.

Does that matter? i plan to use the components i am making in most of my
projects so i want them loaded.
It does not properly integrate into gambas, i cannot see the component in
the control chooser in the IDE unless i add the class to my project.
It does not show the icon in the chooser unless i add the png to
.hidden/control.
But once i have done that the IDE can get the _DrawWith, _Similar , etc
info and that is great.

> 2) They can break the IDE.

Ahh , yes then I fully understand your concerns.
Not to worry, i'll stop pushing the idea to you ;)

I think i'll keep the addition on my branch though as I am finding it is a
really useful feature while i am learning how the layout of custom controls
work.
how they look in the IDE as well as how they look at runtime helps me
understand what is going on much better.

i will add a "Do not Load components" option to skip the loading all custom
components before reporting any bugs in future to be sure the bug is not
this breaking things and add a note on the settings page to tell anyone
else to do the same (not that anyone uses my fork)

Thank you for your thoughts.
BruceS