[Gambas-user] Opensource for parts of my devs

Olivier COQUET ocoquet at 3d-phenomen.fr
Mon Feb 22 14:03:51 CET 2021

Hello everyone,

Sorry I didn't answer but my mail server was hacked in the middle of a
discussion and I had to work on it all weekend to get it up and running
again.

To make a long story short, I'm working on the development of a home
automation system for individuals that is reliable and accessible.

The whole system is developed in Gambas 3.15, the software part will be
marketed with an electronic part and a cosmetic part.

Of course, the individual elements will be distributed for free, as it
is already the case for the embedded http server, the plugin system,
and, soon, an RXB6 library that will allow from Gambas Basic to receive
and transmit on the 433.92 mhz frequency.

By the way, I notice some confusion between the terms "FREE" (public
domain in French) and GPL. The GPL is not necessarily free and is
especially not in the public domain, the broadcasting in public domain
is indeed free but implies the abandonment of intellectual property, the
GPL, on the other hand, preserves intellectual property. In addition,
code generated from a software in gpl license can be distributed as we
want as soon as it does not incorporate parts of gpl code modified or not.

The fact of relying on a compiler or GPL libraries does not constitute
an inclusion of code insofar as the libraries and the compiler are an
intrinsic part of the original creation software, on the other hand if
your code is based on such libraries, you are prohibited from
distributing them, and the user is responsible for finding and
installing them by himself.

Finally, the GPL library implies the diffusion of the licensed source
code to users. In the case of a paid software, only users who have
acquired the rights to use it must receive the sources, which does not
imply a diffusion to people who have not purchased the software.

Friendship to all
Olivier Coquet

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)