[Gambas-user] _DrawWith Me ? trying to view custom controls in the IDE

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:38:14 CET 2021

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 16:38, Benoît Minisini <g4mba5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 20/02/2021 à 15:03, Bruce Steers a écrit :
> >

> > On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 06:42, Bruce <adamnt42 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:adamnt42 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 20/2/21 3:13 pm, Bruce Steers wrote:
> >      > I'm chugging away chewing on making a custom control.
> >      > My discovery though that's a bit naff...
> >      > Unless i add the control to gb.form and compile it in it's not
> >     very good to
> >      > use.
> >      >
> >      > I'm sure you know what i mean.
> >      > _DrawWith works great for a copy of an existing control in
> >     displaying it
> >      > but not a new one.
> >      >
> >      > something like _DrawWith = "Me" would be good.
> >      >

> > Many thanks
> > Wishing well
> > BruceS
> >

> The IDE will not render custom controls as is, because it won't load
> their component. The "_DrawWith" constant allows you to use a similar
> control that must exist in one the component loaded by the IDE
> (gb.form). Otherwise let the IDE draw the custom control with its icon
> inside a frame.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Benoît Minisini

darn it , lol , okay thank you Ben.

So best i can think of for testing is i have my local branch source dir for
modifying new controls.
I load gb.form from that into gambas and edit my controls.
then I have made a small bash script that runs from the "run command after"
option that just copies the freshly made gb.form.gambas to
/usr/lib/gambas3/ and copies the .info file as /usr/share/gambas3/info/
gb.form.info

That will do me I guess if just copying those 2 files (plus the control
icon) is all i need. (it seemed to work)

Will suffice as a temporary measure for testing/building a component.

Thanks anyway :)
BruceS