[Gambas-user] Click and mousemove not firing...

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:22:33 CET 2021

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 17:38, Tobias Boege <tobs at taboege.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Feb 2021, Bruce wrote:
> single
> in a
> check a
> possibly
> > > >

> > > If that's true, then this is a regression. I have happily sent and
> received
> > > .tar.gz archives on this list for a decade, with only *occasional*
> outages
> > > that were attributed to spam/virus alarms being set off at Google.
> > >
> > > But as Christof used to say: we don't know and we will never know. If
> you
> > > identify someone at Google who can be held responsible for these
> blatant
> > > obstructions to completely harmless email traffic, please tell us so
> that
> > > everyone could complain if they wanted to.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Tobias
> > >

> > Oh no, it's not virus scanning nor is it ubknown. It's all here:
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en#zippy=%2Cmessages-that-have-attachments
> > The salieny bit is
> >       To protect you against potential viruses and harmful software,
> Gmail
> > doesn't allow you to attach certain types of files, including:
> >
> >     Certain types of files, including their compressed form (like .gz or
> > .bz2 files) or when found within archives (like .zip or .tgz files)
> >
> > IOW Google is opening your mail.
> >

> Thanks for the pointer. The way I read this, though, is that archives are
> fine by default (which matches my experience) but its contents are checked
> for forbidden file types. Now, which of the listed ones trigger on Gambas
> source archives and why? Does it think it's a jar file because it contains
> .class files? .vb because of syntax similarities? Those are not things that
> Gambas could adapt to and we are being punished for no reason.
>
> Even disregarding the "opening your mail" part and that the whole idea
> seems to be to protect people from their own email clients doing stupid
> things, the file type detection/blocking is more strict than advertised.

There has to be more to this than meets the eye.  (our protection) lol , we
always here that when people want to instigate their own rules.
For example a .vb file ??  that's not even an application it's source code
you'd need to compile. protection my butt. more like finding any excuse to
lower their server demands.
Many of those file types are harmless. it's a conspiracy i tell ya, a
conspiracy.
;)