[Gambas-user] New Simple Gambas updater

Brian G brian at westwoodsvcs.com
Tue Feb 2 20:50:15 CET 2021

BruceS,

Does this work or raspi-os as well?

Thank You
Brian G

From: "Bruce Steers" <bsteers4 at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 10:41:13 AM
Subject: [Gambas-user] New Simple Gambas updater

As previously mentioned I have yet another Updater for gambas.

[ https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambassimpleupgrade | https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambassimpleupgrade ]

How this one differs..
This is the very simplified version.
It does not use git or support any git functions like branch switching as does the other app i made.
This is much much less complicated, Aimed at the user who does not understand git or want to.

It offers the choice of stable or master gambas version.
It simply uses gb.net.curl to download the zip archive of your choice and then unzips the gambas-master or gambas-stable folder to selected dir (defaults to home dir)

By default with no altering settings just pressing Next on the Wizard it should download and unpack gambas-stable folder, install any missing dependencies then compile and install.

Have tested it working on ubuntu debian and suse and fedora

I'll add it to the "tools to help compiling" wiki page.

Possibly it could do with people who know better to do better to it ?

I'm not looking for personal credit for doing this. I'm looking to make upgrading Gambas as easy as can be for users so they can update and use my apps made on the later gambas versions.

I'm trying to get the app as simple as possible so it will be bulletproof and stable enough to possibly be adopted by the gambas team and made even better?

Known bugs/quirks.
Fedora will show missing dependencies if there are upgrades, auto-install fails to 'install' the 'upgrade' but everything still works.
run dnf update to fix.

That's all i can think of.
You tell me.. [ mailto:bsteers4 at gmail.com | bsteers4 at gmail.com ]

[ https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambassimpleupgrade/-/blob/master/README.md | https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambassimpleupgrade/-/blob/master/README.md ]