[Gambas-user] no MouseMove() event on GTK

Benoît Minisini g4mba5 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:10:26 CET 2021

Le 21/12/2021 à 09:32, bb a écrit :
> On Tue, 2021-12-21 at 06:13 +0200, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
>> This is a bug. GTK and Qt should behave in the same way. I bet it is again
>> due to some GTK oddities.
>>
>> Jussi
>>
> For the sake of neophytes who may read this thread.
>
> This ideal is no longer true. Both the behaviour and visuals of many
> controls are no longer the "same" across all GUIs. A quick look at the
> ComboBox control can illustrate many differences.
>
> This comment came about because I was trying to come to an understanding
> of the event chain for ComboBoxes under the different GUIs. Here is an
> extract of my test record.
>

> While the ideal is laudible, I don't see how we can expect the controls
> to display and behave "the same" anymore.
>
> Anyway, have a very safe and merry Yule.

> p.s. @BruceS, sorry for thread theft!

By the way, it's a very good idea to make this chart.

As I already said, but I will say it again with more precision :

1) QT and GTK+ should have the same -behaviour- as much as possible, so
that any GUI program can work with one or the other.

2) I have almost no control on the widget native drawing, so you will
have visual differences.

3) Sometimes, the previous constraint leads to behaviour differences.
For example, the ComboBox border: some widget themes ignore the request
to remove its border. Or the Button background color: sometimes, it is
ignored. And sometimes I can workaround these things (by replacing
native widgets by widgets made with Gambas for example), but most of the
time I can't.

As the full Gambas IDE can run with 'gb.gtk3' (even if some little
quirks remain), I think that the situation is not so bad.

For the pessimistic people, don't worry. GTK+4 is here, and I'm sure it
will break ton of things in the 'gb.gtk3' component.

Benoît Minisini