[Gambas-user] no MouseMove() event on GTK

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 14:26:17 CET 2021

On Tue, 2021-12-21 at 13:13 +0100, Benoît Minisini wrote:
> Le 21/12/2021 à 09:32, bb a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2021-12-21 at 06:13 +0200, Jussi Lahtinen wrote:
> > > This is a bug. GTK and Qt should behave in the same way. I bet it
> > > is again
> > > due to some GTK oddities.
> > >
> > > Jussi

> > While the ideal is laudible, I don't see how we can expect the
> > controls
> > to display and behave "the same" anymore.
> >

> The controls should behave the same, not display! Because display
> depends entirely on the underlying toolkit and widget theme.

Benoît,
By "display" I mean such things as the Border property. If the ideal
were true then "Returns or sets if the control has a border." could be
interpreted as having the same effect across all GUIs. This is not the
case as clearly under QT5 the border effect is unaffected by the value
of this property, at least in the case of a ComboBox.
The point I am trying to make is that the expectation of the common UI
approach for some given property is no longer valid and that people
should not have to wonder "why".
It is now down, as it seems to me, to be that the help should in this
example state "Returns or sets if the control has a border (if
possible)."
As regards "behavior" all I am saying is that the expectation set by
the documentation should no longer be accepted as being "L""A""W". This
is in no way a complaint, just an observation. I have no desire for you
to spend the Yuletide attempting to check that,for instance, the
signals raised by the ComboBox, are the same across all GUIs. (I will
be doing that! 😁️)
In fact, I dont really care that different things happen under
different GUIs (well I do really) but we should not create that
expectation when it is not true. As you would expect, checking behavior
under each of the GUIs is a time consuming and necessarilly manual
effort. Hence BruceS rightfully, IMO, raised this thread. As the Big B
said, "tried on gtk and discovered MouseMove event not happening". Why
should he not expect that? That is an example of my point regarding the
ideal.
Anyway, Boun Natale (sp. whatever)