[Gambas-user] Distributing a package for a non-gambas/programer end      user

bb adamnt42 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 18:34:27 CEST 2021

On Sun, 2021-08-15 at 13:04 -0300, Martin Cristia wrote:
> The myapp.deb works on a system with lastest stable versión of Gambas
> IDE installed. My goal is to make it work if it is not present. Say
> to make the software manager look for the Gambas Runtime binaries
> (and components too) in its database and install the required ones as
> it does for other software. At least for major distros.
Martin,
In short this can't be / shouldn't be done.

The "debian" dependencies are not "binaries" they are packages. The
debian packager in the IDE constructs a package for your project only,
not for the entire gambas environment.

The debian packaging system, for example, is used by many distros, not
just Ubuntu. Each distro may have packaged Gambas in its' own sweet way
regardless of the recommended structure.

Thus even if you managed to solve your goal for Ubuntu, your package
could be useless on other distributions.

Finally, if the target system has Gambas "installed from source" (IFS)
there will be no detectable "packages" anyway (and if someone clobbered my local IFS Gambas 16.2.xyzzy with the distro version 12 packages I would NOT be very happy at all!)

regards
bruce