[Gambas-user] Gambas in a container

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 00:49:32 CEST 2021

On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 at 20:34, Martin <mbelmonte at belmotek.net> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Developing Gambas IDE and developing programs with Gambas, in practice,
> implies having two versions of the IDE and since they cannot coexist in the
> same system (correct me if I'm wrong) we must have a double system boot or
> have a virtual machine.
>
> But if it possible to use Gambas IDE through a LXC, Docker or something
> like that, which would involve less system resources, Would anyone have any
> tutorials or ideas?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Martín.

For me i have my hard drive split into many partitions.
You can use gparted to easily shrink your existing boot partition and add
another to your drive or add a partition to another drive. (i think you may
need to boot from a live linux installer usb to shrink your boot partition)
I develop my own software on linux Mint20 using the latest gambas
development version and use the GB_PCODE_VERSION env to make it run on a
lesser version gambas and am sure to not include any code that would not
work on a lesser version, or at least the lowest version i want to be
compatible for (default Debian10 download being gambas 3.12)
I have debian10 set up on a hard drive and boot into it via my grub menu
occasionally and before releasing (if i don't forget) just to ensure
backward compatibility.

things like VirtualBox and qemu are really slow.

there are ways to have multiple gambas installs on one drive but you need
to set env variables to set paths and switch between versions that way.
It's probably easier to just add a compatibility testing partition with
debian10 and gambas 3.12 on it.

BruceS