[Gambas-user] Rewamp the Gambas web site ?

Christof Thalhofer chrisml at deganius.de
Fri Apr 16 01:08:07 CEST 2021

Am 15.04.21 um 21:59 schrieb Benoît Minisini:

> Yes, I didn't think about that, but having something that is based
> directly on git is appealing.

And you have a static site that can hardly be hacked. The only thing to
take care of are binary files which tend to bloat the Git repo. So it
makes sense to think about it before start
and choose something like Git LFS for that.

> I will look at Hugo.
>
> There should be not a lot of content, as I'd like it to be written in
> the wiki, and then included inside the final website automatically.

As the wiki works well as it is why not present it in a subdomain (for
instance wiki.gambas-basic.org)? If you use a subdomain you even can
host it on a different server or a different user on the same machine
which makes everything more secure. If you're concerned about consistent
design this can be handled by a common header and footer. I think above
all the wiki needs a (fast) search engine.

> At the moment, this is done by IFRAMEs, but they are now disliked by the
> web browser dictators.

IFrames are disliked for a long time now, because of privacy reasons, as
they were abused mainly by Facebook to track users.

If you want to integrate content from another website you have to take
care of the 'duplicated content' SEO problem, which can be very
annoying. Better is to let it be or if the content has to be moved to
another place be sure to redirect users and search bots for every single
page to the new place. Otherwise you will lose the search engine ranking
that you have previously worked hard to achieve.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur