[Gambas-user] Gambas and backward compatibility

Bruce Steers bsteers4 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 17:16:04 CEST 2021

Hey Gian from what i have seen there is very little that changes that would
make software not work on a newer gambas.

Are you referring to something specific?
and this is "forward compatibility" (older programs to work on newer gambas
versions)

For backward compatibility (newer programs working on older gambas
versions) there is nothing can be done except for you to make the code
compatible with older gambas versions. because new features get added to
gambas.
For example the word "Use" in a Property declaration, do not use it as it
will only work since gambas 3.14
So it is your responsibility to make a program compatible with an older
gambas if you want it that way.

I have had a similar problem before but when you look at you realise the
only answer for code written in latest gambas is for the user to upgrade
too.

I have a partition with debian10 and Gambas3.12 that i run and test my
programs on. for backward compatibility.

Happy , er spring time, whatever ;)
BruceS