[Gambas-user] Connection via ODBC

First Last d4t4full at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:09:07 CEST 2020

Gianluigi et al,

With the usual *I need to connect to database XXX using ODBC* claim, I
think a couple of clarifications are needed.

1- Important: The Gambas ODBC interface targets unixODBC, not iODBC
(actually I did not test against iODBC myself; it may or may not work).

2- ODBC is not a database driver per-sé; instead, it is a *Driver Manager*.

You do not connect to a *FooBar* database with ODBC, you connect to a
*FooBar* database with a *FooBar ODBC Driver*, managed by ODBC.
That is why all connection strings have at the very least a
*Driver={FooBar}* parameter; it tells ODBC which actual low-level,
ODBC-compliant driver to use.
In turn, the Gambas application uses the standardized database-interface
offered by ODBC to send/receive queries/data to/from the actual database.

ODBC is, then, some kind of "middle man" standing between the actual
low-level connectivity driver and your application, "filing the burrs"
between them.

The advantage is simple yet powerful: Your application can connect to a
DB2, MySQL, MSSQL or any other database that provides an ODBC-compliant
driver, and you do (almost-)nothing at the application level to issue
queries and get results back. You want to change DB2 for MySQL? Change the
connstring, and you're mostly done... Well, yes, subtle differences between
vendor database features may call for some kind of code adjusting, but it
is usually minimal... or that's at least the goal.

Regards,
zxMarce.